Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Initial Review of Nike+ Fuelband

Out of the box I jumped to put my Fuelband on and determine what it could do for me and motivating daily fitness.  Would I want to take it for an immediate spin just like a new pair of shoes?
My first impressions are numerous: "Besides looking at steps and calories coinciding with the band, how do I really calculate what "Fuel" means?"  "Am I always going to need to press the button 4 times just to see the time?"  "Looks like I'll end up wearing it as a band and not a watch replacement. "  "Will I fall in love with competing with myself and the little colored dots?"

There's no doubt that someone who is a competitor will love the idea of the Fuelband.  Additionally, since it took multiple months to be able to get one at the normal price (which remains steep) I imagine it will keep you using it in order to validate such a purchase.  It is not a watch for an athlete by any means which may be the thing that limits my use of it the most.  I have a need for timing people during the day in my treatments and to make sure I'm in the right place, this wouldn't make it easy if that's something you need.  Nonetheless, the idea that the band (sadly unable to be used when swimming) can monitor activity at a price that is comparable to a high level accelerometer will be my primary focus in the future.

I hope as I go forward it becomes obvious that the little expensive band is a nice reminder what I have committed myself to and as Apolo Ohno would state, "[have] Zero Regrets".  Let me know what you think about the Nike Fuelband by commenting below including any interesting uses!  I'll see if I can answer some of my questions about it as well.

Thanks for stopping by.  Good luck with you exercise today!

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment