Monday, May 28, 2012

Learn, Live, Dream, Run



I recently wrapped up coaching the spring 2012 season of Girls on the Run (GOTR).  I have been privileged to be a part of this program for 4 years now, first in Pittsburgh PA and now in Newport News VA.  I always end the season in awe of how much my team has grown over the season.  It is amazing to witness the relationships the girls develop, their increased fitness, and their evolution into a team of 5K running, confident, and health conscious little ladies.

The mission of GOTR is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.  During our bi-weekly training sessions we combine training for a 5K running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts with themes like “Fueling Our Healthy Pace”, “Standing Up To Peer Pressure”, and “Learning about community”.

Although GOTR focuses on girls aged 8-13, I believe that the lessons learned in GOTR are ageless. The girls not only grow physically as they train for a 5K but also emotionally, mentally, and socially as they forge new friendships, develop a deeper understanding of themselves and others, and begin to discover their limitless potential among other life lessons.  Looking back on my own experiences with athletics and specifically running I can say that I too have experienced such a transformation as well; Take Nick and I for example, over the years our relationship has been shaped and improved by running and being active together.

Reflecting on this and my GOTR season I began to think about some of the values and lessons that running and being active has cultivated in my life:

Embracing who I am
Uncovering my potential
Improving my self-awareness
Examining my values, likes, dislikes and envisioning who I am as a person
Building relationships and being supportive
Gathering a collection of positive (and some less positive but character building) experiences
Increasing confidence in myself and belief in others
Living with intention, joy, and gratitude
Making contributions to my community
Celebrating my differences and finding a connection with others
Leading a healthy, balanced lifestyle
Becoming more responsible and managing time
Nurturing an optimistic, open-hearted, and compassionate attitude


What has running and being active taught you?  How will it transform you in the future?  Lace up, and find out.  Get out there to learn, live, dream, and run!  Happy Monday :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment