Sunday, May 6, 2012

5K by the Bay with a side of Sunburn

Yesterday Nick and I participated in the 5K by the Bay to benefit the hospital system we work for.   

Specifically, proceeds from the race benefited the Riverside Rehabilitation Institute's Giving Fund which allows the provision of charity care to patients in need.  It was exhilarating to run for a cause so close to us, to enjoy some fun with colleagues, and to have patients spectating and even participating in the wheelchair division.  The race kicked off to a balmy start at 9am with temperatures rising into the mid-80s.  We were reminded of this year's Boston Marathon start and I could tell Nick was happy to only be going 3.1 miles.  The race course lead us out and back along Chesapeake Avenue with a beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay and glimpses of the massive Navy ships across the water at Norfolk Navy Base.  The course finished with a loop around the Riverside Rehabilitation Institute campus and post-race refreshments on the hospital's front lawn.  Before leaving work Friday I had encouraged my patients to get up early for the race and I was hopeful that some of them would be able to get out of bed and enjoy the festivities.

It was a gorgeous but somewhat painful race due to the heat.  Nick went through mile 1 in 5:05, mile 2 in 10:12, and finished with a time of 17:23...so much for negative splits. As I trekked down the scenic route, my race went something like this: 
   mile 1 - "Yikes it's hot! But at least this course is fast and flat",
   mile 1.5 - "Yea babe! Nick's in the lead by quite a bit",
   mile 2 - "Oh dear, I really should have chosen a few extra glasses of water instead of that ice
   cream before bed",
   mile 2.5 - "I wonder if Nick won and I wonder if he puked at all because I might",
   mile 3 - "Yay, some of my patients made it out to watch! Time to give a good kick for them!". 

 In the end Nick did keep his lead and finished 1st place overall. I managed 3rd place in my age group and 3rd place overall female in the employee division.  After a couple swigs of water, I met up with Nick and we circled back to cheer on some of our co-workers.  It was nice to see so many colleagues participating and even more wonderful to come across the finish line and see the reason we put forth so much effort...the patients!


Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment