Thursday, January 26, 2017

Entering the Year of the Rooster with a New Winter Training Approach

The last few winters all looked the same: build marathon fitness and running strength for the Boston Marathon with a sprinkle of swimming and cycling so there wasn't a complete lack of familiarity for the summer triathlon season.  Luckily, I think my race schedule stumbled me into a more sustainable training pace that can be combined with the most important thing during the off season, fun hobbies!
Winter is the time to spend time on hobbies
and keep it fresh.
In the spring, Jessica and I are both running marathons, but I am following up Boston with Ironman 70.3 St. George merely 3 weeks after.  This means, with my recovery from Boston taken into account, that I will have no time to build for that race and I will need to be St. George fit on Patriot's Day when I toe the line in Boston.  Due to this schedule, over the last month I have felt the need to start the year with more swimming and cycling than ever before which in turn has created a cardiovascular and strength base for running that is usually not as present.  I have found training more sustainable and successful than usual.  I have a few thoughts and found a few tools have been the reason why.

1.  Don't sweat the small stuff, rest early before you do too much too early, and spend time doing new or old fun things.  In Colorado, that is hitting the slopes!

2.  When you have a race on the horizon, train right.  Start with structure in all aspects of training.  In my past winters, training with running structure only led to stale and plateaued cycling training which didn't set up enough of a base for success by the time triathlon season rolled around. What I have found to be my favorite new investment was a pair of Garmin Vector 2's which have allowed me to determine weaknesses such as right leg dominance during fatiguing longer cycling sets, and a more fun experience on Zwift.
Power training to work on your
weaknesses before they affect
your race season.

3.  Keep all the sports fun.  I was often focused and enjoying my running improvements in the winter as I marathon trained.  What that did was make cycling dull and a simple cross training tool.  With power training on Zwift along with virtual races, my cycling took meaning and it has become easier to get on the trainer five times a week.
Zwift has different courses, workouts, and races to keep
indoor cycling fresh

4.  Use your cross training time to improve your weaknesses and solidify your strengths.  My time swimming is a great time to remind my body of the importance of core strength and body stability.  Performing cycling workouts and running workouts that are different than your main season workouts also keeps things fresh and fun.  We are blessed in Colorado Springs with one of the best running groups in the country, Pikes Peak Road Runners, who sponsor the year long running competition of the Brewer's Cup.  It's good to get out and party have fun with friends.  You may not get the chance as much during the middle of the season.

Winter is the time for fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment