Sunday, January 26, 2014

500 mile Review: @Saucony Cortana 3

500 miles and 4 months ago, I donned my first pair of Saucony Cortana 3 for marathon training.  I rotate my shoes, up to 3 or 4 pairs at a time, so it takes a while to wear each set down.  During the time of wearing the Cortana 3 I have rotated with Mirage 3, Kinvara Trail, and Virratas.  I use each type dependent on type of run.  
The Cortana quickly became my go to long distance shoe, the ride is great, very cushy but still light.  The heel of the shoe held up well, and the toe box bend was excellent, especially with the light upper mesh which avoids a high friction surface above my toes when running up hills (I've had that problem with other shoes and brands from the bending point of the shoe).  
I don't think you can judge a shoe well on first impressions, all shoes wear differently, but first impressions and last impressions for these soon to be donated shoes were excellent.  So the pros and cons...


PROS:  
  • Soft Ride, Comfortable Shoe with more support than my other shoes
  • Wore slowly over 500 miles, still running worthy today
  • Light shoe for the amount of support they provide (for a 150lb guy at least)
CONS:
  • Always took on a lot of rocks in creases of sole, and there are a lot of them in Colorado Springs
  • Laces had to be replaced a month ago (broke due to wear from weather/dirt/use)


I already have my replacement pair and these have become my go-to shoes in my line-up.  The fit was true to size and comfortable out of the box.

Happy Running!  I look forward to putting 500 on my next pair and a few different models to compare 500 mile wear to.



No comments:

Post a Comment