Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Runner's Tea: Athlete Review

After discovering The Runner's Tea from a friend a few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be accepted as a member of "The Runner's Tea(m)" and I have been trying it out on a regular basis the last few weeks to see how my now frequent coffee replacement holds up in terms of energy, performance, and to other teas I have tried.

The Runner's Tea makes three distinctly different teas with two matcha based teas (powdered ceremonial grade green tea) - Ginger Berry and Citrus Mint - and one oolong based tea - Recovery Tea.  The teas contain additional flavoring from combinations of mint, cinnamon, ginger, tumeric, ginseng, orange peel, cayenne, lemon balm, hibiscus, and lemon grass.  Matcha Tea, at least in the athletic circles I am in, is one of the hottest health crazes out there, giving the other craze for beet juice good competition.  A quick internet search will tell you that Matcha, or powdered green tea leaves, provides a much higher level of antioxidants than traditional green tea, as well as specific properties that improve memory, concentration, and endurance.  Personally, I have spent enough time in healthcare that I have seen and heard of a lot of different products and methods.  I look for items that are sustainable health habits as I have no love for terrible tasting cleanse items and the like.  Tea is a well established way to achieve health benefits of antioxidants, hydration (nutrition tidbit -caffeine does not dehydrate you but they may make you run to the bathroom sooner), and a caffeine boost.



My Runner's Tea Review:

All three flavors are different and can meet an individual's needs at different times; however, my favorite is the Citrus Mint.  The Berry flavor was a bit strong for me before running, especially 30 minutes before, where I found it was a flavor I would taste at times during a run, so it didn't settle with me quite as well.  In the teas, I love the light heat from the Cayenne and feel it augments the flavor of the mellow smooth minty tea.  The recovery blend contains oolong tea, so I still go elsewhere for a pre-bed tea but the recovery blend does include one of favorite ingredients to add to any personal recovery tea: turmeric.  I add additional turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon to the recovery blend which I find augments a relaxing flavor and a little extra anti-inflammatory punch.  That said, I don't partake in any caffeinated tea after 3 pm - so it is not a tea I drink before my occasional recovery naps in the afternoon.

Performance-wise, I feel good after drinking The Runner's Tea, I have energy and no difficulty keeping it down when running soon after.  I found indigestion to be a problem with coffee too soon before a run, while this tea settles well.  The mint may be the primary reason it is smooth and calm in the stomach once it goes down.  Overall, my race performances haven't changed, and I wouldn't expect replacing my caffeine source to lead me to immediate PRs, but a healthy alternative that is easy on the stomach puts me at ease that I won't be holding onto my gut in regret mid-race.  The peace of mind that you aren't overdoing it with caffeine or chemically energy drinks is nice to have.

All-in-all the price is fantastic for a premium tea and especially with the continually rising matcha prices.  If you are looking for something that tastes good, has additonal health benefits, can help stave off inflammation and upset stomach, and will also provide a caffeine and performance boost then I'd definitely recommend giving it a try at www.therunnerstea.com where you can get 10% off with the code: RTNIC2015

Happy Tea Drinking and Happy Running!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment