Sunday, March 3, 2013

Race Season: Less Than A Month Till Taper

Can't wait to start the season!
We've had a busy time since our latest move including our commutes to work, planning our continuing education, studying for our CSCS exam, and training for the racing season.  The "Big" race, Half-Ironman Texas is in one month but the season will officially kick off for us next week when we participate in Life Time Fitness Colorado Springs' Indoor Triathlon.  Also it's been cold outside, so we've been preparing indoor style!

Every Monday we continue to make the hour drive to spin class in order to kick off our week in training with  group fun.  Following our classes, I do my best to get Jess into the pool.  I'm beginning to seriously consider buying her a pair of floaties.  Luckily I don't think it's possible to drown in 4 ft water during an indoor tri.

The indoor triathlon is based on distance covered in the time given.  For the swim that is 10 minutes.  The curve is set by the person who completes the furthest distance and everyone else is given points in terms of percentage.  At the end, you add up the percentage type points for a total score.  Last time I participated my swim cost me the win as I won the bike (100 pts) and tied for the run (100 pts) but only managed about 50% of the best swimmers laps.  It was rather depressing.  So this year I joined a triathlon training/master's swim class.  Hopefully I won't embarrass myself huffing and puffing this time!

This year I have a main focus on April, my first half-ironman.  I won't be taking it easy next weekend sandwiching long runs and speed work around the indoor triathlon.  While building up a base during the winter, which wasn't always as fun due to blistering winds and cold, I knew that come race day it will likely be 90 degrees that greets me.  Regardless of the pending heat, I am looking at a month of hard training ahead until a week-long taper that will culminate with my arrival in Texas.

Now it's time to begin the final push!


No comments:

Post a Comment