Monday, June 18, 2012

What motivates you to lace up for a run?


Motivation comes in a variety of forms; some of us run or work out to get fit, increase strength and endurance, improve at a sport, become healthier, or just have fun.  Whatever your reason to get active, considering the things that motivate you can help get you out the door.  Last week, after a long day of work and seeing the thermometer hit 96 degrees, the thought of my air conditioned bed room sounded appealing.  I felt as though I could have fallen asleep right in my work parking lot (not that bad an option considering it’s located right on the water of the Chesapeake Bay).  However, upon seeing one of my patients in his wheel chair on the terrace, I decided I could suck it up and it was my favorite 5 mile trail that I drove to instead of my cool apartment.  If I spend 8 hour per day prescribing exercise to help patients overcome various ailments surely I can’t let some heat stop me! (I was looking forward to moving north for a little cooler weather though haha)

I guess you could say that a desire to inspire others is what motivates me.  Whether I'm coaching my Girls on the Run team, treating a physical therapy patient, acting as an ambassador for Team Marathon Bar, or leading by example around my community I hope to make a positive influence on others and to encourage them to live a healthy, active, and balanced lifestyle.  This is my passion and if I’m going to talk the talk I better be walking the walk (or running).  It is this desire to empower others as they pursue their dreams and activate their limitless potential that keeps me motivated.

What motivates you?

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment